Faculty Grievance Procedure

University of Michigan schools, colleges, and academic units have established peer-based procedures to ensure the prompt, effective and fair resolution of faculty members’ grievances.

Before filing a grievance

Seek to resolve the dispute by discussing it informally with the person(s) who made the disputed decision or took the disputed action, or actively participated in it, or who has the authority within the relevant unit or units to provide redress. If an informal resolution cannot be reached, follow the Grievance Procedure below.

Grievance Procedure

Generally, a faculty member shall file a grievance within 90 days of the action that gave rise to the grievance. Please view the Faculty Grievance Procedure by unit to find out your unit’s procedure.

Grievances typically cover decisions or actions concerning a faculty member’s conditions of employment at the Ann Arbor campus that may violate University policy or which may otherwise be manifestly unfair.

The grievance procedure typically applies to:

  • Instructional faculty who are tenured, tenure-track, or clinical faculty; research faculty, including those in the research scientists track and those in the research professors track; librarians; curators; and archivists.
  • Decisions made by academic units (schools, colleges, centers, institutes, and programs) acting through Deans, Directors, department chairs, and other authorized persons
  • A decision or action concerning a specific individual or specific individuals, including those adversely affected by application of policy or standard operating procedure, written or unwritten

The grievance procedure does not typically apply to:

  • Decisions regarding employment, including tenure or promotion decisions, merit pay determinations, and decisions regarding clinical competence/patient safety, that are based solely and exclusively on judgments about professional performance.
  • Disputes that have been addressed in another formal hearing procedure of the University or a University unit.

Please view the Faculty Grievance Procedure by unit to find out your unit’s procedure.

The first step is to complete the Faculty Grievance Submission Form which will be sent to the Director of Academic Human Resources (DAHR) and the Faculty Senate Office. The DAHR shall transmit a copy of the FGM to the named respondent(s), with copies to the Dean or Director. Please print the confirmation page for your own records.