Thursday, May 25, 2023, 3:00 – 5:00 pm
The University Senate will convene for a special meeting on Thursday, May 25, 2023, 3:00-5:00 pm. This hybrid meeting will be to discuss the following resolution: Senate Expansion to Admit Clinical Professors, Archivists, and Curators. The subject matter of this special meeting will be focused solely on the Senate expansion resolution.
This special meeting is being called pursuant to Senate Assembly approval of the resolution to expand the Senate to include new members. If the University Senate also approves the resolution, a request will then be made for an update to the Bylaws of the Board of Regents.
This resolution is coming to the University Senate after years of consideration within various committees, the Senate Assembly, and the most recent University Senate meeting. A collection of resources related to much of the prior work on this resolution can be found here.
Senate Expansion Resolution
The resolution would expand the University Senate to admit Clinical Professors, Archivists, and Curators. A summary of the resolution with links to the full text can be found here.
Amendment to Include Lecturers
As written, the current Senate expansion resolution does not consider adding Lecturers to the Senate. A timely amendment to the resolution that would add Lecturers (Lecturers I, II, III, and IV) has been submitted for University Senate consideration. If approved, the amendment would revise the Senate expansion resolution to add Lecturers to the groups that would be admitted into the Senate. The text of the amendment can be found here.
The proposed plan for scheduling votes on the above amendment and the main resolution as revised is as follows:
- For 72 hours after the University Senate meeting, starting around 5:30 pm on May 25th, all current University Senate members may vote electronically on just the Amendment to Include Lecturers, which needs to be resolved first.
- On Tuesday, May 30th, the results of the vote on the amendment will be announced and the main resolution, as revised or not depending on the outcome of the vote, will be shared with all members.
- Starting on Wednesday, May 31st, all current University Senate members may vote electronically on the final version of the Senate expansion resolution for a period of 72 hours.
To vote on the amendment and the main resolution, all current University Senate members will be emailed at their umich.edu email addresses a notice to vote. That notice will include the following link to the Senate’s electronic voting system, where members will be able to vote once voting is open: https://vote.umich.edu/. The notice will be emailed at the start of each voting period:
- May 25th for the vote on the Amendment to Include Lecturers;
- May 31st for the vote on the final version of the Senate expansion resolution, with any revisions necessary due to the outcome of the vote on the amendment.
Any procedural votes that need to be taken during the meeting will also use the Senate’s electronic voting system, via the same link above and provided again here: https://vote.umich.edu/. Members who will attend the meeting in person should bring a laptop or smartphone capable of permitting them to vote on procedural issues electronically during the meeting.
May 25th, 2023
University Hall, Ruthven, Room 2000
1109 Geddes Ave
Zoom: Link emailed to every current University Senate member at their umich.edu addresses
For technical difficulties, please email email@example.com
Senate Expansion to Admit Clinical Professors, Archivists, and Curators
· Call to Order and Chair Opening Remarks
|3:30||Senate Expansion Resolution: Volunteer Speakers
· Ivo Dinov, Remarks in Favor of the Resolution (Slides)
· Beth Moore, Remarks in Favor of the Resolution
· Bruno Giordani, Remarks in Favor of the Resolution After Years of Working Towards This
· James Aikens, Remarks in Favor of the Resolution
· Yi-Li Wu, Remarks Against the Resolution (Slides)
|3:50||Senate Expansion Resolution: Open Senate Member Discussion|
|4:10||Amendment to Include Lecturers
· Introduction: Yi-Li Wu, Remarks in Favor of the Amendment (Slides)
· Rebekah Modrak, Remarks in Favor of the Amendment (Slides; Comments)
· Kentaro Toyama, Remarks in Favor of the Amendment (Comments)
· Shanna Kattari, Remarks in Favor of the Amendment (Comments)
· Kerstin Barndt, Remarks in Favor of the Amendment (Comments)
· Silvia Pedraza, Remarks Against the Amendment
|4:30||Amendment to Include Lecturers: Open Senate Member Discussion|
Note: All times listed in the above agenda are intended for guidance, not strict adherence.
Non-Procedural Agenda Items Requiring a Vote
- Amendment to Include Lecturers
- Senate Expansion to Admit Clinical Professors, Archivists, and Curators
|Amendment to Include Lecturers|
|FSO to report results of amendment vote and share the final version of the Senate Expansion Resolution|
|Senate Expansion to Admit Clinical Professors, Archivists, and Curators|
~ 9 am
|FSO to report results of Senate expansion resolution vote|
Online Open Written Comment Period: 24 Hours After the 5/25 Meeting
There was an open comment period for written comments submitted within 24 hours after the end of the University Senate special meeting on 5/25. The comments that were received can be viewed here.
The meeting will be public, with two ways to attend.
Attend in person:
Alexander G. Ruthven Building, Rm 2000
1109 Geddes Ave, Ann Arbor, MI
Option 1: Attendees who are not University Senate Members
Option 2: Current University Senate Members
A unique Zoom link will be emailed to each member prior to the meeting
Notice for Medical School University Senate Members:
The Zoom link will be sent to your umich.edu email addresses (not your med.umich.edu), and you will need to use your umich.edu email address to sign in (not your med.umich.edu address).
This meeting will be open to the public and will be hybrid (in person and over Zoom). Live, human-generated transcription will be provided. To request reasonable accommodation, contact the Faculty Senate Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.